In this section
Emotional health for children and young people
Emotional health and wellbeing can be supported through:
- Good parenting
- Quality experiences in school
- Leisure and social engagement
Children and young people may need additional support at some point in their lives and this is normal. Information and advice, or support from family and friends, usually helps. However, some children and young people may experience difficulties that are severe and chronic. They will need more specialist advice and support.
What to do in an emergency
In emergency situations the young person must attend the nearest A&E unit or call 999.
Following admittance into A&E:
- A mental health professional will assess the young person following a medical assessment by A&E staff
- Depending on the age of the young person, this may be a professional from CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service) or Adult Mental Health Team
- If the young person needs ongoing mental health input, a referral to the appropriate team will be made by the assessing professional
Worried about a child
If you are worried about the welfare or safety of a child it is very important you contact us.
Salford City council and partners have a multi agency hub called the Bridge Partnership that screens all contacts concerning the welfare or safety of a child to Children's Services.
The Bridge Partnership can be contacted by telephone on 0161 603 4500, alternatively you can complete an online referral form.
Free online counselling now available for children and young people
Kooth is for young people aged 11-18 and offers a variety of resources, including:
- A live chat function that allows young people to contact a qualified counsellor
- Chat forums with other young people
- Crisis information
- Self help resources
Kooth provides information and support along with treatment for children and young people with a range of mental health problems. Scheduled and drop in counselling sessions are available 365 days a year and include slots at evenings and weekends.
Access the Kooth service
How to contact us
If you have any questions about the Partners in Salford please let us know